How To Say “I Love You Mom!”
The St. Augustine Way!
“There’s no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one” [Jill Churchill] and a million more ways yet to show her how much you love her! This year, we will celebrate our mothers officially on Sunday, May 11, but it delights me that most people I know celebrate their moms year round these days, with no particular occasion required. In honor of all of our moms, I polled some locals and have put together a Top 10 List of St. Augustine-ish Things To Do For Your Mom This Year Whether She’s Here or Coming To Visit Later!
- Commission one of the great local artists at Rock Art Studio on Old Moultrie to do a wall mural for your mom or send her to one of their awesome classes! Touch base with Jackie for ideas because she has tons of them (especially since she’s a mom herself)! 904.899.3452.
- Get her a gift certificate from The Gifted Cork at 64A Hypolita Street and/or The Spice and Tea Exchange at 59 Hypolita Street will please the wine and culinary lovers. She can shop in the stores or online!
- Arrange for her to go horseback riding on Vilano Beach with Country Carriages.
- “I can't control the wind but I can adjust the sail.” [Ricky Skaggs] Put her on the water for a lovely private and relaxing catamaran sail around Matanzas Bay with St. Augustine Eco Tours.
- Recreate a Victorian clandestine moment for her at a Through The Keyhole event. She’ll begin her afternoon sipping tea and learning about the bygone taboos of mystic parlor games (tea leaf reading, pendulum dowsing, talking spirit board). She’ll learn the similarities between modern day metaphysics and age-old superstitions. Call 671.5010 for details!
- Set her up for a guided tour at St. Augustine’s 7-acre Wild Reserve—a nonprofit corporation created as a rescue center for unwanted exotic animals, right here in St. Augustine. Some of the Reserve’s animals came from abusive homes; two wolves were rescued when their owner was involved in a fatal auto accident; five Arctic wolves and an African lion were received from Michael Jackson’s Southern California ranch. Visit staugustinewildreserve.org to learn more!
- da Vinci said “Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward…” so send her to the sky for one of the great biplane tours offered by StAugustineBiplaneRides.com.
- Play dress-up while you shop at The Way We Were at 86 Charlotte. Amazing vintage clothing, jewelry, hats, and accessories from 1800s to 1980s. Great selection of vintage rhinestone and crystal brooches and necklaces. Bettie Page, Trashy Diva, Stop Staring, Pin-up Couture, pin-up, rockabilly style, boots, historical costumes, and unique vintage inspired jewelry by local artists! A real vintage lovers treasure chest and what a fun time for the girls!
- Of course a gift certificate from Bayfront Westcott House is a most excellent choice, and you can purchase one at a 10% discount thru Saturday May 10!
- Hug your mom if you can, call her if you can’t, and tell her how much you love her. Timeless, priceless!